Monday, February 27, 2012

d. i. why?

I am not a crafty person.  I have always felt bad about this - as a woman, a mom, a wife.  I feel like since I have a vagina I’m supposed to enjoy making things from scratch, like with glue and popsicle sticks and shit.  And I did used to enjoy things like that when I was a kid.  But as an adult I just don’t have the attention span or the interest to sit and assemble little projects for which I have no practical use (pinecone bird feeder, anyone?).  In the back of my mind I’m always thinking of other things I could be doing with that time, like laundry or my nails or getting a frontal lobotomy.   But I really want to make more of an effort with this, because my third grader Annie is very creative and I think it’s important to foster that in her.  (Basically she’s a highly intelligent, emotional loose cannon with occasional b-word tendencies, and I’m hoping to parlay that into “artsy and independent” before she reaches adulthood).
Thanks to Pinterest, I am conveniently bombarded with cute little DIY projects on a daily basis.  Apparently, some of my friends are actually doing this stuff.  Nuts, right?  So I’ve picked out a few of the cuter ideas, and I am like, totally gonna try to do some of them soon, when I get the time, cause I do work one day a week now, and of course only if Annie’s interested and we aren’t doing anything else that day.  And the baby’s asleep, and the hubs is at work, and it’s a full moon.  On a leap year.
Note: You’ll notice none of these projects involve glitter.  Glitter is the herpes of the arts and crafts world – once you've got it, you can’t get rid of it.  Just say no  

from juliapetit


from designsponge
I actually love this idea. 
A daily calendar that can be reused each year and gets better the longer you use it.
Each day you write the year and something that happened that day like, "Estie took her first steps." 
Imagine how great it would be in ten years!



from myblessedlife
The hubs and I actually did this one - it works great and could not be easier!



from thatkindofwoman


now go sterilize your kitchen scissors
and get crafting.






No comments:

Post a Comment